Welcome to St. James Catholic Church in Memphis, Tennessee

Letter from Fr. Gerald Azike regarding reopening the Church

Carta de Padre Gerald Azike sobre la reapertura de la iglesia.

A Short History of St. James Catholic Church

St. James Catholic Church was founded in 1956.  It was dedicated by Cardinal Samuel Stritch and Bishop William Adrian on April 3, 1956.  Cardinal Stritch was the uncle of the first pastor of St. James, Reverend Morris Stritch.  St. James was named in honor of Monsignor James Whitfield, who was a close friend of Cardinal Stritch and was the pastor of St. Therese the Little Flower at that time.  Since that time, St. James  has had many pastors.  The following is a list of the pastors at St. James:

  • Reverend Morris G. Stritch, (1956-1961)
  • Reverend John J. Schelly (1961-1963)
  • Reverend James A. Kemper (1963-1964)
  • Reverend William J. Kleiser (1964-1966)
  • Reverend Herbert W. Prescott (1966-1968)
  • Reverend James W. Murphy (1968-1974)
  • Reverend James J. Driscoll (1974-1978)
  • Reverend Patrick J. Lynch (1978-1982)
  • Reverend Joseph L. Fisher (1978-1988)
  • Reverend William R. Kantner (1988-1991)
  • Reverend Patrick F. Heenan (1991-2005)
  • Reverend William R. Kantner (2005-2013)
  • Reverend Monsignor Victor P. Ciaramitaro (2013-2017)
  • Reverend Gerald C. Azike, (Pastor, 2017-present)

Other priests who have served at St. James:

  • Rev. James B.  Murray (1961-1962)
  • Rev. Thomas J. McCall, S.J. (1982-1984)
  • Rev. James L. Danner (1982-1983)
  • Rev. William Ford Silk (1983-1984)
  • Rev. Steven G. Baxter (1985)
  • Rev. Robert D. Ponticello (1986)
  • Rev. Richard A. Cortese (2012—2017)
  • Rev. Yoelvis A. Gonzalez (2013-2017)
  • Rev. Charles A. Bauer (2016-2017)